Saturday 19 December 2009

Hurts - a Pet Shop Boys for the 2010s?



I made "Wonderful Life" by Hurts my pick for best pop song of the week and have no hesitation in recommending this excellent, classy track (although the silly girl dancing in the video rather lets the image down). I heard about this song ages ago on my favourite pop site PopJustice.com and there has been a fair bit of comment there and on blogs about this band, partly because the song is so good - it's going to be re-released in January with a big marketing push I suspect - but the buzz is partly about their appearance and style which hark back to the 80s new romantic glory days. No one can quite agree though as to which artists they most resemble in terms of both sound and image. For myself the vocal reminds me a bit of Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy" - not that it's falsetto like Jimmy Summerville's but it does share the same measured, almost standoffish and melancholic tone. As for the image I can't believe no one seems to see the Elephant in the room here - they are the new Pet Shop Boys. A British, electro-synth pop pairing of a charismatic frontman and a static, unsmiling keyboard player behind. Cmmmon! It can only be the PSB. I hope they produce 25 years of good music like them. If you haven't heard the single listen now - it's one of the best of the year.
(Spanish residency Spanish residency)

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
This Weeks Best New Pop Song - Blogged
OctoFinder [Valid Atom 1.0] Blog Directory http://www.feeds4all.nl This Weeks Best New Pop Song - Blogged